Re: On GSL version control

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:52:56PM +0000, Brian Gough wrote:
> I hit a few problems in the conversion process - for example, you'll
> find there is a stray file sum/gsl_sf_sum.h in HEAD which should not
> be there.
>
> It is caused by cvsps putting some patches in incorrect order -- with
> later versions of the file coming before earlier versions (a
> workaround is to use the cvsps -z 60 option to reduce the patch time
> window).

Ah, too bad CVS doesn't have the concept of change sets. Imo, it's a
reason alone to switch away from CVS.

> Git certainly has some advantages over CVS - the main one in my
> opinion is the ability to verify the integrity of the repository from
> the top-level SHA checksum.

Imo, it has huge advantages over CVS:

 * change sets -> accurate checkpointing to any version

 * integrity is verified
	* no difference between binary and ascii files -> data is
	  preserved exactly no matter what

 * branching and merging
	* merging actually preserves change history instead of hiding it
	* merging is fast and easy

 * VERY helpful logging utility (try log --stat and log -p)

 * patch generation (git format-patch)
	* authors are preserved (committer is separate)
	* change log messages are preserved
	* binary diffs: all files are patchable
	* easy distributed development

 * all repositories are mergeable among each other (distributed development)

 * it's quote fast.. I've been using git at work, and it beats SVN
   in almost all operations

--
Heikki Orsila			Barbie's law:
heikki.orsila@iki.fi		"Math is hard, let's go shopping!"