Re: Patch to fix complaints from valgrind about make check for randist

Brian Gough wrote:
Jonathan G. Underwood writes:
 > Another (trivial) patch to fix valgrind errors for make check in randist.

Thanks, I'll add those in.  Most of the errors I've seen with valgrind
were related to "long double". I decided that it didn't seem to handle
that type correctly as the same code doesn't generate any errors with
other types.

Ok, so I'm not going insane :) I've just spent a couple of days looking hard at that - it generates a number of complaints for the vector and matrix code for long double complex vectors and matrices. I looked hard at the code and tried a number of things to debug it, but can't see what is causing it. Interestingly, different errors arise if one uses no optimisation, but again it's all with the long double stuff. I did start to wonder if it had to do with alignment on boundaries for long doubles, though (since the gsl_complex structures used for the vectors and matrices seem to be generating the issues). But, I haven't investigated this further yet. It does concern me though, as I've never previously known valgrind to generate errors that were worth ignoring.

For reference I am using fedora core 4, so gcc 4.0.1, valgrind 2.4.0, glibc 2.3.5. I may try valgrind 3.0 to see if anything changes there.

Jonathan.