RE: GSL for Windows (ha, ha, ha)

>> Is there any particular reason its nearly impossible to compile GSL for
>> windows using cl??  In my opinion, this isn't very bright if you wish to
>> have as wide an audience as possible!!

>There was a discussion a short time ago with the link to ATLAS project
>FAQ.

>IMO the goal is not to have the widest audience but to have the most
>contributing audience.

>Also Windows is not for free,
>VC++ is not for free so why can't someone pay a bit for the CD ?

Maybe it would help if people had some positive feedback from windows users?
I first used GSL about 2 years ago - I had NO programming experience & had
to teach myself from scratch. I'm a windows user - I don't have much choice
at work.... I found Dev-Cpp (windows GPL C/C++ IDE) and the pre-compiled
windows GSL library. It took quite a while to figure out how to install/link
etc. but I managed by searching old posts from the gsl-discuss archive so I
never sent any "Hi I'm a clueless windows n00b and GSL sucks because I can't
figure out how to install it" messages. Quite the contrary - GSL and Dev-Cpp
introduced me to the GPL & GNU and has given me a VERY positive impression
of Free Software. I can understand why developers and maintainers of GSL
want to "raise the bar" by not providing pre-compiled windows libraries, but
for every "clueless n00b" message you used to get there was possibly someone
else like me who learned a lot & got a great impression of Free Software. If
the compiled libraries hadn't been available the bar would have probably
been too high for me...
So to anyone who has contributed to GSL:
THANK YOU!