nonlinear fit with weights

Hi,
I am trying to use the nonlinear multifit functions in GSL with a
weight. Different points in my data set has different error bars
and I would like to use this information while making the fit.
I basically copied and modified the example from the manual, then
I set values of sigma[] to reflect my error bars. However the only
effect of changing sigma was to change the error estimates in the
fit, it did not change the fit itself.
I think I am doing something completely wrong. I read the manual,
but could not find anything that looks helpful. Is it possible at
all to use different weights for different data points (as in,
e.g., xmgrace)? And if so, how?
Thanks a lot,

ato