covariance matrix data sampling

Hi All,

The task is very simple: if you have a set of experimental data, you can compute mean values and standard deviation for each derived physical quantity. The covariance matrix can also be computed without any problem. If the number of physical quantities is i.e. 6, we will have 6 mean values with the corresponding standard deviations, and the covariance matrix will be a 6x6 real symmetric matrix. (I have in mind an orbit, with 6 free parameters, and a set of sky observations).
Now suppose that you want to generate, using a program based on the GSL, one million of data points using the covariance matrix. Those points must 'agree' with the experimental data in the sense that mean values, standard deviation and covariance matrix computed using only the generated data points must be as close as possible to the original experimental one. (In the orbit analogy, the generated data points represent a plausible orbit given the observations.) This is a common problem in many simulation programs, and at the moment I use a 'not very reliable' set of source code found somewhere in the net to achieve this, but I'm not satisfied with this solution.
I don't know of any GSL function call to achieve this. Any solution?

Thanks.

  --Pasquale
    http://orsa.sf.net