Re: qawo-problem and a book project

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 04:26:49PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> Peter S. Christopher writes:
>  > 	Sorry to weigh in uninvited and I'm especially sorry if I
>  > don't understand the question being asked but ... As I see it the
>  > question is "can the programs that USE (link with) gsl be included
>  > with the book WITHOUT distributing the GSL"? Is this right?
>
> The user should not be restricted in using the example programs.

> The obligation in the GPL to also provide GSL can be easily satisfied
> by putting it on a website and putting the url in the book.

Actually, assuming that GSL must be distributed with the example
code, it must be provided via the same means that the
machine-readable example code is provided.  If this is a CD that
comes with the book, then GSL must be available from the author or
publisher by CD.  Having it on a website may reduce the requests for
GSL CDs to nothing, but it must be an option.  Also, the GSL
provided must be the same version as the author used in the book, to
eliminate any incompatability introduced in GSL updates.

Much of this is on GNU's GPL FAQ:
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

--
Jeff Spirko   spirko@lehigh.edu   spirko@yahoo.com   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.

All theoretical chemistry is really physics;
and all theoretical chemists know it. -- Richard P. Feynman