Re: freedom

On April 1, 2003 08:06 am, Gangolf Jobb wrote:

> i am not up for a flame war, i am rather looking for a free
> numerical library that i can link into my own software without having
> to give away my property rights, as one can do with almost all other
> scientific information. fsf is against software patents, but the gpl
> is nothing better.

I am puzzled here. Why do you need a free library to develop a comercial
software? People of GSL (and other GNU projects) simply say "we give you this
software for free provided anything you make with it must be also free".
Seems like a fair deal to me.

> i know others who dislike the gpl terms and i am wondering if there
> are enough of them who would contribute to an alternative free
> library that is really free, and not only "gnu-free".

There is a Fox project, have a look at their web pages:
http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
You might like their views on freedom.

> thank's for these words - and let us liberate free software from
> "gnu-freedom"!!!

Geez, dude, what's the matter with you? You said you want to keep your
property rights, right? So why do you want other people to give you their
property rights unconditionally?

Take it easy,
Slaven