Problems with upgraded Cygwin and/or gcc 3.2

I am running (or rather trying to run) GSL 1.2 in a Cygwin environment on a
Pentium Windows 98 machine.

Until yesterday I have successfully run gsl 1.2 with gcc 2.95-3-5 and a
relatively old (2 months) Cygwin environment. I had no real problems with the
library so far, and have used it for more than a year.

I have just done some overdue upgrading of Cygwin and in this process got gcc
3.2 (in addition to some other upgrades). This (or something else in the recent
installation) completely destroyed my ability to compile and/or run gsl
programs.

All of my programs that I checked, compiled fine but running them caused an
error message like:

--------------
    101 [main] GGT-RUN 499869 handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  17713 [main] GGT-RUN 499869 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
GGT-RUN.EXE.stackdump
------------

Running old executables (compiled before upgrading) was successful. Compilation
and running simple C programs (no GSL) was successful as well.

I then recompiled and reinstalled the GSL library (make distclean; ./configure;
make; make install). Compilation (with gcc 3.2) went smoothly but make check
failed on one of the tests (complex numbers, I think).

I subsequently re-installed gcc 2.95-3.5, recompiled GSL again, and got the same
error message as above.

Getting more desperate I removed the old cygwin installation completely,
re-installed cygwin from scratch, with gcc 2.95-3.5. Compilation went fine. Make
check failed on complex numbers. I am still getting the above error message from
any file that I recompiled, whereas all old executables work fine.

Any clues? I am really getting desperate, since I cannot get any work done
without the ability to recompile and run programs so would appreciate any help.

Adam

--
Adam Kleczkowski, Dept. of Plant Sciences and Selwyn College
Univ. of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EA, England