Re: String<->function code

>My goals for an ideal expression evaluator would be minimal size and
>dependencies, pure ANSI-C and support for standard languages &
>precedence (C/Fortran/..)  .. complex support could be useful (for
>fortran) but if parameters have different types it's not so easy to
>pass them in safely, similar problems for matrices/vectors...  beyond
>scalar expressions it might be better to use a scripting language.

The problem with the different types can (hopefully!) be overcome using
operator overloading in C++, although I know that's not to everyone's
taste.  I'm hoping for this.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was working on an interpreter
for functions similar to maple, using GSL.  It stalled for a bit, but
the parser is now written and works with operator precedence for
everything except complex numbers and vectors/matrices, although they
should not be too difficult to apply.

As for functions, currently I've implemented polynomial solving and some
statistic's functions which give me enough to test the parser with.

Scott