examples of Makefile and ODE for stiff equations, please..

Dear Sir/Madam
I recently installed GSL, but I am a beginner and found the sample
examples in manual are a little bit too brief for me ( even though the
manual itself is very well written and rather helpful).I'd appreciate if
you could give me a further example ( or brief explanation) in the
following two points. Thank you very much. Sincerely yours, Ken

1. Example of Makefile for non-default path.

Could you give me an example to compile/link a sample code ( especially
example of Makefile if available) for the case when GSL is installed in
non-default path.( i.e. I can't figure out  how to change the setup for
the directory path 'gsl')?( " gcc -I/home/ken/gnu/include/gsl -lgsl
-lgslcblas -lm ODEtest.c -o ODEtest" doesn't work.) Moreover, I also have
a problem in the command starting with 'gsl-config'. It just says
'command not found' when I type, say, 'gsl-config  --libs'. It has to be
typed only in specific directory?

2. Examples for stiff differential equations.

My main purpose for GSL is to solve my stiff differential equations
because Runge-Kutta w/ adaptive step size from Numerical Recipe doesn't
work for my equations. If somebody has a simple example or good web sites
with some examples for stiff equations, I'd appreciate your letting
me know.

 Many thanks and sorry for bothering you by mailing thru this
distribution list. ;) -Ken