RE: Root finding page manual suggestion

Hi,
I agree with the warning. The book you refereed to "Numerical recipes"
by W. H. Press S.A Teukolsky et. al. is not regarded by numerical analysis's

as anything worth reading. The algorithms are old and not
so good implemented. Even the references are bad (how can anyone
implement linear algebra algorithms without including any references
to Golub or van Loan?) The only bright part with the book is that they cover

much in an easy way and book is quite cheap.

Potorti on the other hand refereed to the book "Numerical methods"
by Dalquist and Björck. Two of the most leading numerical analysis's
in the field of ODE and linear algebra. This book is worth reading but
starts to become quite old. I know that a new book, "Numerical Mathematics"
in several volumes will soon be published by SIAM. I can really
recommend this book as a reference work when it becomes available.

Regards,
/Mikael Adlers

BTW. the choice of when to use the Newton or the secant method is
still present Numerical Mathematics (together with the derivation
of the rule).

 Mikael Adlers, Ph.D.          email: mikael@mathcore.com
 MathCore AB                   phone: +4613 32 85 07
 Wallenbergsgata 4             fax:         21 27 01
 SE-583 35 Linköping, Sweden   http://www.mathcore.com