forwarded message from Dherminder Kainth

Dear Brian,

It is relatively straightforward to extend the Sobol generator (for example)
to higher dimensions by altering the dimension etc to beyond 40 and putting
in more irreducible polynomials (see Numerical Recipes for further
discussion). The polynomials can - if you are keen - be computed using eg
Mathematica; alternatively go to the NR web page and look for contributed
code - in particular a file by Peter Jaeckel. Here there is a list of all
the polynomials - one simply has to transcribe them to the code.

Alternatively there is the SPRNG web side and a number of fortran
implementations (use f2c to get a quick and dirty c translation).

A point of warning - quasi randoms are NOT good for integrating to dimension
400 (basically to do with the Kloskwa Hlawka) bound.
Instead you must

a. Hope the "effective dimension" of the problem is < 400 ~20 is good (!).
By that I mean most of the weight of the integral is in 20 generalised
dimensions.

b. Then use Brownian bridging/ pseudospectral methods. This will generally
work for most problems. For a further discussion of these points see R E
Caflisch (on the web).