RE: GSL, VSIPL, and the ultimate numerical library

Jiri Hajek wrote:

> In my opinion GSL is quite complex and useful library,
> though I have seen just documentation so far,
> because I haven't compiled it in Windows yet.
> However, there is one thing I miss a lot:
> C++ version of this library, at least for matrix algebra,
> because there is big diffence
> between writing several matrix operations
> using C++ operators and plain C functions.

C application programs are about three times larger
than C++ application programs
that do vector and matrix arithmetic.

> There is written "while allowing wrappers to be written
> for very high level languages" on the GSL web page.
> Did anybody try this or anybody plans to do it?

You could implement
The Scalar, Vector, Matrix and Tensor class library

	http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/svmt/

on top of the GNU Scientific Library (GSL).
But I am disinclined to do so myself right now.
Any application that depends upon the GSL will break
if the GSL library developers make any changes
in the data representation or algorithm implementation.
I also fear that the GSL developers may abandon the GSL
before it is completed like Robert D. Pierce
abandoned the GNU Scientific Software Library (GNUSSL).

	ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnussl/

I can't even get the GNUSSL to compile anymore.