Re: GSL, VSIPL, and the ultimate numerical library

Jiri Hajek wrote:
> because I haven't compiled it in Windows yet.

Has anybody compiled under Windows? In any form? Cygwin?
We don't see alot of reports.

> However, there is one thing I miss a lot: C++ version of this library, at

Well, there will never be a "C++ version" of GSL. GSL is
a C library from head to toe. A C++ project might reuse
some of the code (and more of the thinking), but would be
a completely distinct project.

> least for matrix algebra, because there is big diffence between writing
> several matrix operations using C++ operators and plain C functions.

Well, maybe operator overloading (together with the expression template
goop needed to make it satisfactory) is not a bad idea. But in itself
it is not a major issue. I say this only to try and enlighten anybody
who thinks that gimmicks will save the day. Gimmicks are gimmicks;
meanwhile there are real structural problems to be addressed.
Go to oonumerics.org to see the broad picture of what people
are concerned with.

> There is written "while allowing wrappers to be written for very high level
> languages" on the GSL web page. Did anybody try this or anybody plans to do
> it?

Somebody was following the releases fairly closely and creating
python bindings. We haven't heard from him in a while.

--
G. Jungman