Re: The GNU Scientific Software Library

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

[snip]

> What distinguishes the GNUSSL from the GSL?
> What is the compelling distinction
> that helps numerical application programmers
> choose one library over the other?

If I understand well, the first is object oriented, at early begining
stage and not suported anymore (if I understood). I think it's a good clue
about which programm to choose, isn't it ? (appart of the object point of
view)

> > I believe development of GNUSSL lapsed after a while.
> > I'm not sure why that was.
>
> What do you mean by lapsed?
> Is the GNUSSL unfinished?

Did you ever try it before ask here ? have you a pointer, so that I can
try it ?

> Will development of the GSL lapse after a while?
> Do application programmers have any assurance
> that the GSL will continue to be supported and maintained?

Good question. the reponses are IMHO :
"hopfully no" and "clearly no one"

Did you read the GPL ? no waranty... But as you've got the source code,
even if the GSL lapse, you can continue to use it, and correct the bugs
you find. You have the same problem when you start a program on the gnome
or kde. I a few years these two project may have disapeared. If it
happends, I'll have to rewrite my application. So what ? I'm paid for
that. And rewrite is always easier than write.

Anyway, gsl is the library i needed for a long time, thanks, all.

Bye, Mt.