Re: The GNU Scientific Software Library

E. Robert Tisdale writes:
 > Why does the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) exist?
 >  What was wrong with the GNU Scientific Software Library (GNUSSL)?
 >  Why was yet another version of the GNU Numerical Math Library
 > necessary?

GNUSSL is a C++ class-library, covering areas of linear algebra,
matrix decompositions and ffts in an object-oriented way. So it is
fairly different from GSL, where the goal is to write a portable
replacement in C for existing numerical libraries such as
IMSL/NAG/Numerical Recipes.

The projects began around the same time (roughly speaking) but are
independent.  I believe development of GNUSSL lapsed after a while.
I'm not sure why that was.

best regards,

Brian Gough