Re: Linking problem

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 08:46:18AM +0200, Mark Galassi wrote:

>     Dirk> You didn't say which version of Debian's gsl package you are
>     Dirk> using. I'd suggest that you upgrade to the 0.5+ package I
>
> Dirk, please do not prepare packages on the + version numbers.  The +
> means that it is CVS only.  You should wait for a new release to
> prepare packages.  Even in "unstable" it is not appropriate.

Um, I beg to differ. There are sizeable differences between 0.5 (as
released) and 0.5+. I particularly prefer the cleaner build process.

In any event, only a few people live off current "unstable", everybody else
looks at "frozen", the release candidate. Due to the "no new code here"
policy,"frozen" still contains 0.5.

At Debian's current speed, it will be a long while before the current
"unstable" will be released. I am willing to bet that you guys won't be at
0.5* at that stage.

> On the other hand, if you put it in a snapshot directory, that's
> probably OK.
>
> It is essential that people not report bugs against a + "release"!

Generally speaking, Debian would get the bugs first. I generally forward
everything that is not related to my packaging as eg the m68k header bug you
guys kindly fixed (and which I "ported" (cut and paste, really)) back into
0.5 so that gsl could actually be part of frozen.

> PS: it's great that you are doing debian packaging!  Could you
> contribute the config files?

The .diff.gz is on every Debian source mirror. I'd be happy to send you a
copy. I am not sure how much sense they make in CVS and it is somewhat tied
to having a Debian box with the build utilities (dpkg-dev, debconf,
debhelper, ...).

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.