[Liam Healy <Liam.Healy@nrl.navy.mil>] NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions

Amigos, this note might be interesting in relation to our special
function library.

Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Liam Healy <Liam.Healy@nrl.navy.mil>
To: rosalia@lanl.gov
Subject: NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions

Mark,

Thank you for your interesting talk on Saturday about the GNU
Scientific Library.  I mentioned to you the NIST project to
update/replace Abramowitz and Stegun.  It is called "Digital Library
of Mathematical Functions" (DLMF) and their web page is

http://math.nist.gov/DigitalMathLib/

The "ebook" is almost completely empty, the exception being the
chapter on the Airy functions (Chapter 11).  They do say that they
have secured funding.  In their "overview" section they say:

"Clearly, more emphasis should be placed on computational
aspects. Ideally, static tables of numerical values should be replaced
by software which can generate custom tables on demand. Similarly for
graphical representations. Will technology and resources permit us to
do this? What is the proper role for symbolic software? These kinds of
questions will be considered with the assistance of qualified
professionals from around the world."

It seems like your project would mesh very nicely with their goals.

Liam