Re: GSL 0.4.1 and SGI Irix 6.5.4

Dear Trond,

Thank you very much for your report.  I have just put in a patch for
your second problem (GSL_MODE_PREC() defined twice) into CVS.

But I'm a bit puzzled by the first problem.  If your compiler doesn't
have inlines, then why did autoconf's AC_C_INLINE macro define
HAVE_INLINE in config.h?

It might be that the SGI C compiler supports inlines, but in a
different way from gcc, which allows you to do the trick we do in
gsl_mode.h.  In fact, I vaguely remember that the best type of macro
for this kind of performance optimization (inlines that can be used
across many .c files because they're shoved into .h files) has a
standard recipe that depends on the __WHATEVER_GCC__ macros.

I don't have access to any non-gcc machines right now, so I wonder if
you could send me the output of "configure", as well as the config.log
and config.h files.

Also, if you're familiar with autoconf and you feel motivated, could
you (or anyone else with SGIs) try to figure out a general solution to
the problem?