Re: Reducing code size of Position Independent Executables (PIE) by shrinking the size of dynamic relocations section

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Rahul Chaudhry <rahulchaudhry@google.com> wrote:

> However, before that can happen, we need agreement on the ABI side for the new
> section type and the encoding. We haven't worked on a change of this magnitude
> before that touches so many different pieces from the linker, elf tools, and
> the dynamic loader. Specifically, we need agreement and/or guidance on where
> and how should the new section type and its encoding be documented. We're
> proposing adding new defines for SHT_RELRZ, DT_RELRZ, DT_RELRZSZ, DT_RELRZENT,
> and DT_RELRZCOUNT that all the different parts of the toolchains can agree on.

Sounds like good work.

The place to hold a discussion on ELF ABI issues is
generic-abi@googlegroups.com and gnu-gabi@sourceware.org.  Inasmuch as
there is an official ELF ABI any more now that SCO has gone under, it
is maintained on the generic-abi list.

Ian