Configuring path for passwd file in glibc

I have downloaded and built glibc 2.2.3 in a cross-compile environment for
the powerpc MPC823 with Linux kernel 2.4.6. I built glibc on an x86 host PC
for a powerpc target. I am attempting to install and use samba to login to
the powerpc device from a Windows PC. I am not able to login to the powerpc
device because samba is not able to find my username. I have determined
through some debug print statements in the Linux kernel that samba is
file. I believe that I have the correct entry in the nsswitch.conf file. It
is as follows:

passwd:     files nisplus nis
shadow:     files nisplus nis
group:      files nisplus nis

I haven't been able to figure out how NSS knows how to map files to the /etc
directory but from everything I have read that should be the directory that
it is searching. The passwd file is in the /etc directory. Samba uses the
library routine getpwnam() to determine if the username is valid. I have
written a small test program an used the fgetpwent() and passed in a file
pointer to the /etc/passwd file and that works correctly.

Is there a configuration setting or something that needs modified to tell
libnss_files where to look for the passwd file? How do I determine where
libnss_files is currently looking?

Thanks for your help.

Cindy Peters
Adaptive Micro-Ware, Inc.