Re: glibc-2.2.4 and gcc-3.0 ?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Andreas Jaeger said:
> Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:
>> * What does gcc-3.0 do so differently that it generates a binary
>>   incompatible library?  Does that mean that my system wouldn't work,
>
> One problem is that exception handling is broken, your old C++
> applications will not work anymore.

I thought that all that broke was old C++ applications throwing
exceptions that must unwind through parts of glibc (like qsort())?

>>   if I compiled glibc-2.2.4 with gcc-3.0 and install it in place of
>>   the currently installd glibc-2.2.3, which I have compiled with
>>   gcc-2.95.3?
>
> Your system might not work anymore - and none of the glibc developers
> will care about your bugreports/problems.

That's slight overkill, I think. If 3.0.1 was used the bug reports could
be interesting, as long as they clearly didn't relate to exceptions
handling or another such known-broken area. (At least they let you
expand the list of known-broken-with-3.0.x areas!)

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'