Re: glibc-2.2.4 and gcc-3.0 ?

Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:

> When configuring glibc-2.2.4 unsing gcc-3.0 I get the message
>
>     *** This version of GNU libc cannot be compiled by GCC 3.x.
>     *** GCC 3.x will generate a library that is binary incompatible to
>     *** older and future releases of GNU libc.
>     *** You should compile this GNU libc release by an older GCC version
>     *** or wait for the next GNU libc release.
>     *** If you really mean to use GCC 3.x, run configure again
>     *** using the extra parameter `--disable-sanity-checks'.
>
> I have searched the FAQ and other docs, but couldn't any info on this.
>
> * What does gcc-3.0 do so differently that it generates a binary
>   incompatible library?  Does that mean that my system wouldn't work,

One problem is that exception handling is broken, your old C++
applications will not work anymore.

>   if I compiled glibc-2.2.4 with gcc-3.0 and install it in place of
>   the currently installd glibc-2.2.3, which I have compiled with
>   gcc-2.95.3?

Your system might not work anymore - and none of the glibc developers
will care about your bugreports/problems.

> * What does --disable-sanity-checks do?  This seems to be
>   undocumentend.

It allows you to continue.

> * When will the next GNU libc release be available that can be
>   compiled with gcc-3.x?

When it's ready. ;-)  We need to have everything working at the first
time and therefore need to do some extensive tests first.  The issues
have been discussed on the libc lists a number of times already,
please read the archives at http://sources.redhat.com/glibc

> * Would glibc-2.2.3 compiled with gcc-3.0 have the same problem?  At
>   least the configure script does not complain about gcc-3.0.

Yes, it would - and the GCC 3.0 release notes warn about this!

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de