Re: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

Allin Cottrell wrote:
> You want to ensure that /sbin/ldconfig gets run early in the boot
> process.  You may be able to run it from a rescue diskette.  If
> your system is mounted on /mnt relative to the rescue ramdisk you
> could try:

I am sorry if the question I ask is dumb, but how can you boot
from a diskette, when the C lib is corrupted? AFAIK, the diskette
simply let's you boot the kernel that is on it, and then the root file
system of the HD is mounted, and then the control is transfered
to /sbin/init, which needs the C lib.  Notwithstanding that,
the shell that you'd use after booting from a diskette needs glibc.

When I first upgraded glibc from source (2.1.3 -> 2.2.1) I sure messed
things up, but

  1) I have a second Linux installation on a separate partition,
     a very small one. I never experiment with it. When the
     primary install is screwed, e.g. by a glibc upgrade that
     went wrong, I can boot from the secondary install, mount
     the partition of the primary one and (try to) fix things,
     then reboot again.

  2) before the "make install" of glibc I had made a complete
     backup of /lib , /usr/lib and /usr/include

Thus with two reboots I could have my primary installation as it was
before make install.

Thanks for any comment, and good luck to Nick.

--
Minko