Re: environ and -D_GNU_SOURCE

On Thu, May 18, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:

> > I don't like this. If you speak about "GNU/Linux", you ignores
> > over 75% of the necessary Linux software.
> > And, without Linux, I doubt that we would have so many GNU
> > projects.
>
> This is true, because Linux is a major system component without which we
> wouldn't have a complete GNU system.
> But I don't think the system would lack 75% of its components if we
> removed those that are coming from BSD.
> Take Linux, sysvinit, bash, glibc, gcc, gdb, emacs, the gnu binutils,
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Linux is GPL, not GNU. sysvinit is GPL, not GNU, ...
I don't know of any GNU init programm.

> the gnu fileutils, the gnu netutils and you have a complete system made
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is BSD, it isn't even under GPL. And no Linux distribution uses it.

> If the FSF had decided that more of 50% of its system's component would
> be taken from any free bsd, you would obtain a BSD/GNU or GNU/BSD
> system.
> But here it happens to be a GNU/Linux system.
>
> You see?

No. I only see how less programs installed on my computer are
really from a GNU project. I don't speak about GPL, I mean GNU software.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg