Re: strip makes libs unusable

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Dale Harris wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 10:38:09AM -0400, David Ronis elucidated:

> I'm assuming it is because they have symbols.  Do an nm on one of those
> libraries, in the case of shared libraries, ld-linux.so needs to see them;
> for archive libraries the linker needs those symbols to be able to reference
> the bit of code for which you are looking.  Lucky you didn't to it on the
> shared libraries, otherwise you have a nonfunctioning system.

No, actually shared libraries have a duplicate symbol table which you
can't strip (you can see it by doing nm -D file.so)
Thus they can be stripped without making any problem.

But static libraries have only one symbol table, and if you strip them you
will not be able to link them to any program.

If you want to install glibc with stripped binaries and libraries, you can
do "make install INSTALL_PROGRAM='/bin/install -s'", assuming you have GNU
install in /bin

	Regards, gael