Re: GDBServer and Solaris

On 2018-02-07 08:09, gael.alassoeur@laposte.net wrote:
Hi,
I got a Sparc Solaris 10 application target.
I would like to debug it from a Linux server.
It seems that Solaris Sparc isn't a reconized target for gdbserver
that's a bit strange because I can generate a Linux gdb client with
sparc target...
Do you confirm it ?
Would it be possible for the gdb developpers to add this feature to
gdbserver for a next version ?
Thanx
Kind regards
Gael

Hi Gael,

Indeed, gdbserver does not support Solaris. In an ideal world, gdbserver would support all the configurations of architectures and OSes that GDB supports, but in reality it's not the case.

For gdbserver to support Sparc/Solaris, someone would need to do the work of extracting the Sparc and Solaris bits out of GDB in the arch/ and nat/ directories, and then re-use that to implement the support in gdbserver. I would love to see this happening, but to be honest I don't think someone will randomly jump on that task. Generally, people contribute to the support of architectures and OSes they use, and I don't think many people use Sparc/Solaris these days. If you would like to give it a shot, we we'll happily answer your questions (here or on IRC).

Simon