Re: Python API: Getting symbol by address

On 2017-12-21 13:20, Roman Popov wrote:
Hello,
I have collection in C++ that stores pointers to functions and methods. I
want to pretty-print pointed method and functions names.

It is possible using GDB shell, for example:

(gdb) info symbol 0x405ece

top::test_thread() in section .text of test_procs

However I found no way to do the same using Python API.  Why such
limitation?

P/S Same question on stackoverflow :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47916564/gdb-python-api-getting-symbol-name-from-address

Thanks,
Roman

Hi Roman,

As most things in the Python API (and GDB in general), it's likely because no one took the time to do it. I don't see any technical reason not to have it. If you take a shot at writing a patch for this, feel free to ask if you are blocked.

Thanks,

Simon