Can someone help me understand what is causing this warning when running
the gdb testsuite:

warning: Could not load shared library symbols for 3 libraries, e.g. /libilp32/libm.so.6.

This is trying to test gdb with the ILP32 ABI on aarch64.

I have built a complete toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils) in a non-standard
place on my system, but I also copied the 32 bit libraries to their 'normal'
location in /libilp32.  I am using this toolchain to try and build and test
gdb and when I run the testsuite I get more failures than I think that I
should be getting and I get many (800+) of these warnings.  I don't know if
these warnings are the cause of my failures or are a separate issue.

To run the testsuite with ILP32 debugging I am using:

make check RUNTESTFLAGS='--target_board "unix/-mabi=ilp32"'

Though the wiki also seems to suggest things like:

make check RUNTESTFLAGS="--target_board unix/gdb:debug_flags=-mabi=ilp32"
or
make check RUNTESTFLAGS="CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET='-mabi=ilp32'

I am not sure which one of these is the best method to test a non-default
ABI or what the difference between them is but they all seem to result in
the same problem.

Maybe this problem is related to safe-path or solib-search-path?  I know the
gdb testsuite ignores my .gdbinit file, does it create one of its own?  Is
there someplace in the gdb sources and/or testsuite setup that I can set
or change the default values for these?  This is for aarch64 ILP32 so
it may be that I need to add /libilp32 to /lib and /lib64, but I don't
know where to do that.

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@cavium.com