Re: Remote Serial Protocol -- reply to '?' when target running

On 08/09/2016 11:40 AM, taylor, david wrote:
From: gdb-owner@sourceware.org [mailto:gdb-owner@sourceware.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Eager

When gdb connects to a remote target, it asks about
features, and then sends a '?' packet, asking why the
target is stopped.  When the target connection is through
a JTAG pod, the pod may be able to respond to the feature
request, but not be able to determine what the current state of
the target is, likely because it is not stopped.  What should a
JTAG pod reply in this case?

The GDB Remote Protocol doc doesn't seem to be entirely consistent.

Sounds like you are in non-stop mode...  our stub

In 'Remote Protocol Support for Non-Stop Mode' (part of appendix E), it says in part:

     If all threads are running when the target receives the '?' packet,
     or if the target is not attached to any process, it shall respond 'OK'.

I don’t know about others, but we operate in non-stop mode and if there
  are no stopped threads, we respond with 'OK'.

The JTAG pod I'm using does not respond with "QNonStop+" in response
to "qSupported".  Perhaps it should.

The JTAG pod does respond to '?' with OK.  After a few other exchanges,
gdb goes into a wait, waiting to receive something from the target.

What do you do?  Send a stop reply packet when the target stops?

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077