Re: Changes required for x86 address spaces

On 10/20/2015 10:16 PM, Gary Benson wrote:
H.J. Lu wrote:
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:
Here are some notes regarding gdb changes required in order to support

   https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-10/msg01972.html

In my opinion, DW_AT_address_class is best when the alternate
address space is truely disjoint, or has a different pointer
width.  That certainly matches up with the language in the dwarf4
doc, and existing usage in the embedded targets.

Thus I've arranged for these x86 address spaces to use
DW_AT_segment, a dwarf location containing an offset from the flat
address space.  For the purposes of the debug info, I map
__seg_tls to __seg_fs or __seg_gs.

The x86-64 abi already has dwarf register numbers allocated for
fs_base and gs_base.  Thus the location is simply the trivial
DW_OP_regx 58 or 59 respectively.  The i386 abi does not yet have
the same register number pre-allocated; the latest version I see
in HJL's github document has dwarf registers 58-59 within a block
of reserved values, so for now I'm using the same values for both
x86-64 and i386.

Table 2.14: DWARF Register Number Mapping in Intel386 psABI:

https://github.com/hjl-tools/x86-psABI/wiki/X86-psABI

defines

Segment Register ES 40 %es
Segment Register CS 41 %cs
Segment Register SS 42 %ss
Segment Register DS 43 %ds
Segment Register FS 44 %fs
Segment Register GS 45 %gs

Why not use them?

x86 has %fs and %fs_base, and %gs and %gs_base.  I don't understand
the difference but I do know that when libthread_db asks GDB to look
in FS or GS (in ps_get_thread_area) what GDB actually returns is the
contents of FS_BASE or GS_BASE.

Exactly. The segment register contains a "descriptor", which in 32-bit land is a 16-bit quantity that indexes a table that describes the segment -- base, length, permissions, etc. In 64-bit land they've pretty much done away with the table and left two quantities, fs_base and gs_base, that are applied when using the appropriate segment overrides.

But even for 32-bit, I need the segment base, not the descriptor. GDB ought to be able to pull this value out via ptrace, at least for specific descriptors between linux's GDT_ENTRY_TLS_MIN and GDT_ENTRY_TLS_MAX. Sadly, there's no way for gdb to read arbitrary segment descriptors.

(If GDB could directly access FS_BASE and GS_BASE through regcache or
whatever then thread debugging could be done without the ptrace hacks
in ps_get_thread_area (so presumably faster) but I don't know how to
add this support so I haven't done it.)

I was thinking the same thing. Presumably all one needs to do is define new architecture registers and fill in the blanks. But I've lost track of how to do that these days; it seems to be scattered across 19 different files...

r~