Re: gdb on Linux Kernel dumps (gdb-kdump)

On 23 Sep 2015 00:10, Ales Novak wrote:
> On 2015-9-22 19:56, Andreas Arnez wrote:
> > Right.  As pointed out in the talk at the Cauldron, there are already a
> > few examples in the Linux kernel source tree under "scripts/gdb".  In
> > addition, this post mentions another GDB-enhancing project for Linux
> > kernel debugging, named "LKD":
> >
> >  https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2015-06/msg00040.html
> >
> > The LKD project focuses more on live debugging and thus might be a
> > useful complement to gdb-kdump.
>
> Yes. The scripts in scripts/gdb/linux can be used, if they match the
> dumped kernel. LKD sounds interesting, being slightly in overlap with
> gdb-kdump.
>
> > So, how to continue?  Would you be able to convert gdb-kdump into
> > patches against upstream GDB and send those to the gdb-patches mailing
> > list?
>
> The github repo is based on the very recent 7.10 release, i.e. it can be
> applied almost harmlessly. Yet it brings dependance on the libkdumpfile,
> which in turn brings dependance on liblzo2, libz, libsnappy (these are
> used in the dump formats), which I don't know how upstream will like.
> Should I try to send it anyway?

as long as support is behind a configure flag/check, it shouldn't be a
problem.  gdb doesn't generally care about transitive deps either -- in
this case it merely relies on libkdumpfile.  i'd note that libkdumpfile
has all those libs listed as optional too.  its license is GPL, so that
shouldn't be a problem either.
-mike