Re: Cross-build issues in gdb/gnulib

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Pedro Alves wrote:
>>           # Test for the AIX locale name.
>>>          if (LC_ALL=ja_JP LC_TIME= LC_CTYPE= ./conftest; exit) 2>/dev/null; then
>>>            gt_cv_locale_ja=ja_JP
>>>
>>> The comment refers to AIX, but it is in fact executed in the "*" case of a case statement, i.e., for everything other than Windows.  The same code pattern also appears in the two other locale-*.m4 files.
>
> I'm lost.  Do you have a specific Gnulib patch in mind?

Perhaps you missed the original problem report, which is that this configure machinery doesn't take into account cross-builds.  And that broke badly on a build=X86_64-linux, host=i386-netbsdelf cross-build, because Linux attempted to execute the generated conftest image (a NetBSD image).  That's wrong of course, but worse yet, it got into an infinite loop, apparently the emulation is buggy.  So my build got stuck.

I learned about AC_RUN_IFELSE and constructed a fix with that.

	paul