Re: GDB now takes 4 minutes to start up with remote gdbserver target

On 07/28/2015 04:13 PM, Pedro Alves wrote:
On 07/24/2015 06:18 PM, Sandra Loosemore wrote:

It used to print a helpful message
suggesting using "set sysroot" if the user wants the shared library
information, instead of hanging on startup with no indication of what
the trouble is or how to fix it.  I can't see the new default behavior
as an improvement over the old.

I fully agree that those should be fixed.  If GDB had warned giving a
"set sysroot" suggestion, and the slow retrieval was cancelable, would we
be discussing the new default?

I think that would be about 1000 times better than the current situation. One mild concern I have is that if "set sysroot" with no arguments is the recommended way to restore the old behavior, IIUC old versions of GDB give an error on that form of the command. So, if you have startup scripts, IDE-based launchers, documentation, etc that need to support multiple versions of GDB, is there a backward-compatible command that works everywhere to get the old behavior, if that's what you want? Perhaps the GDB manual should explicitly document that instead of/in addition to plain "set sysroot".

I'd also like to see the manual be more explicit that transferring files from the target can be slow and it is recommended to make a copy available on the host. And, I think the language currently in the manual that libraries on the target can be stripped as long as libraries on the host aren't needs to be tweaked, since this makes no sense if the default is to get the potentially-stripped libraries from the target anyway.

-Sandra