Re: GDB now takes 4 minutes to start up with remote gdbserver target

On 07/24/2015 04:27 PM, Paul_Koning@Dell.com wrote:

> But having sysroot default to target is also a bad idea for lots of other people.  Consider embedded systems: you presumably have stripped images there, but unstripped ones on your build host.

But in that scenario, with the old default sysroot, how was gdb finding
the binaries on the build host?  The binaries on the equilalent locations
on the host's root will certainly not match the embedded/target system's.
In that scenario, you must have been pointing the "set sysroot" somewhere
local?  And if you do that, nothing changes in 7.10, gdb will still access
the files on the local filesystem.

>From the discussion so far, it seems that the only case that ends up
regressing is the case where the host and target share both the
filesystem, and the host/target paths match.  I don't know off hand how to
make gdb aware of that automatically.

That seems like enough of a special case that could well be handled
by an explicit "set sysroot /" in e.g., the toolchain's system-gdbinit, or
by building gdb with "--with-sysroot=/".

Thanks,
Pedro Alves