Re: Personal branches and restrictions with GIT repository

On 28/05/15 11:11, Matthew Fortune wrote:
>> git checkout master; git pull; git checkout users/pmuldoon/c++compile;
>> git merge master; git push
>>
>> This just makes my branch = Master + my changes. It does not, of course,
>> affect Master in any way.
>
> If the long term aim is to submit the code to master you may find it
> easier to rebase and force push to your personal branch. I'm assuming
> force push to a personal branch is allowed.
>
> This keeps all your commits at the top too. This method works well until
> you have multiple contributors but with some practice it is possible to
> work as a group with rebase+force push.
>
> Matthew

I don't want to get into GIT work-flows ;) There are seemingly dozens
of ways to do the same thing in GIT. But as the branch has to go
through review first, and that entails a patch series, I normally just
rebase at the end to another temporary branch and squash commits to
create that patch-series. That's worked quite well for me.

You can't rebase or force commit to a personal branch either, as I
understand.

Cheers

Phil