Re: Newlib/Cygwin now under GIT

On Mar 10 17:03, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Hi fellow developers,
> >

> > I'm happy to inform you that the move of Newlib/Cygwin from the src CVS
> > repository to the new, combined GIT repository is now final.
>
> I note that this repository includes the include/ directory, in its larger
> binutils-gdb form rather than the smaller GCC form.
>
> How much of this is actually relevant for newlib?

Keep in mind that this is a combined repo for newlib and Cygwin.  Cygwin
needs include/ for its dumper tool, which is a helper to create core
files readable by GDB.  It includes

  bfd.h
  elf/common.h
  elf/external.h

and all files included by those.

> Mostly it relates to
> libiberty and object file formats, for use of code that's not included in
> this repository (which does not include libiberty).  If little or none of
> this code is actually used in newlib, it might make sense to remove the
> unused files so it's clear they do not need merging from the other
> repositories.

Of course, I have no problems to remove unused files, just not
now.  I'm still looking for a small problem in the repo, so please
no unsolicited pushes for now.

> (Apart from include/, various shared toplevel files and directories are
> out of sync between the three repositories - GCC, binutils-gdb,
> newlib-cygwin - and could do with someone identifying unmerged changes and
> applying them to the repositories missing them.)

This is a common problem.  I guess newlib/cygwin got the oldest set
and, afaik, the GCC toplevel stuff is kind of the master.  It would
be nice if we had some automatism in place to keep all former src
repos in sync.

Corinna

Red Hat