Re: how to fix internal errors on connection to remote stub?

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 12:47 PM, Sandra Loosemore <sandra@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>
> We have a GDB stub we use to interface to various hardware probes.  In GDB we normally run programs on the target using a series of commands like
>
> (gdb) target remote ....
> (gdb) load
> (gdb) c
>
> This works about 99.9% of the time.  The other .1%, we get "a problem internal to GDB has been detected" from the "target remote" command, because it is trying to ask the target for a backtrace *before* it has loaded the program.  At that point, the contents of memory and registers on the target have no relation to the program gdb is trying to debug, and GDB gets mighty confused.  Maybe this isn't so awful for manual use, but it certainly screws up automated testing.
>
> Luis and I have been discussing this and we both think the most likely solution is for the stub to answer the initial '?' packet with some response that indicates it's in an inconsistent state, rather than the "S00" it is sending now, and have GDB recognize it and at least suppress the initial backtrace, and perhaps also sets a flag disallowing other commands to view target state (variable values, etc) until it's cleared by the "load" command.  Maybe the 'W' stop reply could be used for this purpose, or maybe we need to introduce a new one?
>
> Alternatively, maybe we could have a separate GDB command that can be issued before the "target remote" to suppress the auto-backtrace?
>
> Any other ideas?  What do other folks think is the right solution?  We'd much rather fix this in a way that's acceptable for mainline rather than having to carry a patch locally.

If gdbserver is sending something that confuses gdb, the default answer is that this is a gdb bug (it should not fall over) and possibly in addition a gdbserver bug (it should obey the protocol spec).   The reason I say “default answer” is because of the standard distributed systems rule that it’s always your bug if a received packet causes you to malfunction; the fact that the packet was invalid is not an excuse.

You said that the stub is in an “inconsistent state”.  I’m not sure about that.  The target is stopped by the initial connection, and at that point you have a target thread, it’s stopped, it has registers, so it’s in some state that can be reported.  Yes, that state has no connection to the program GDB knows about, because it’s not in the target yet.  So the target might be in some boot loader or other bit of skeleton code, but it’s obviously executing something.  So I don’t think “inconsistent” applies from the gdbserver point of view.

Instead, it seems that gdb, when it queries gdbserver for the stopped inferior state, gets back stuff that doesn’t fit in the program it’s been told about.  But so what?  That can happen in other places for other reasons, and gdb usually handles that just fine.  Consider the  “heuristic fencepost” machinery that protects from wild backtraces.  So it seems that we just have some gaps in gdb’s robustness, and those are bugs that should be fixed.

New commands or new protocol mechanisms don’t seem like the right answer; it’s not the user’s job to work around gdb bugs, nor is it gdbserver’s job to know that it is out of sync with gdb.

	paul