How to implement GDB MI command in Python?

Hi

I'm using Python to extend GDB by new commands. This works fine. Now I'd like to call these commands from within Eclipse/CDT. Because GDB supports CLI command in MI-mode, I can call my Python functions by CLI. BUT It would be better, IMHO, to use MI commands, especially for GDB/Python commands that return status information and errors.

According to my research, it's not possible to create MI commands by Python. My questions:
 - Is this correct?
- If it's correct: Why is that the case? Has it simply not been implemented or are there technical issues/limitations?

Thanks
Raphael