Re: [C++] System Requirements

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Michael Veksler
<mveksler@tx.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> Nevertheless, supporting pre-gcc-3.4 compilers is still a pain.
> Not only because language semantics is different (two-phase
> name lookup in templates vs. one) but because you can't easily
> build old compilers on modern machines. And if you don't test
> your  code with a pre-gcc-3.4 then your code won't work with
> earlier compilers.

Right. And my point is that not enough people use a pre-4.1 compiler
either, even though 3.4 is *supposed* to mark the beginning of
compliance.

I'm definitely not happy about 4.1 - it would make gdb code
significantly worse than it could be - but at least I can be confident
that there is a userbase from RHEL 5.

-Ben