Why does "target remote" to a non-stop target stop one thread

I'm working on GDB for a remote target, using non-stop mode.

When I connect to the target, even in non-stop mode, it insists on
stopping one thread. The comment in notice_new_inferior () is:

>       /* We're going to install breakpoints, and poke at memory,
> 	 ensure that the inferior is stopped for a moment while we do
> 	 that.  */

My question is, why we need to stop any thread. Surely the whole point
of non-stop mode is that we don't generally want to stop any threads if
it can be avoided.

I'd appreciate understanding the thinking behind this, before I start
suggesting patches to change the behavior.

Thanks,

Jeremy

--
Tel:     +44 (1590) 610184