Re: debug gdb by gdb

Hi John,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM, John Smith <horserivers@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>    i  am  try  to  debug  gdb  by  gdb  , and  a  problem confused  me
> , here it is :  how can  i send  command  to  the  debugged gdb
> process  which  is  the  child  process of  top-gdb ?
>
>   as  you know ,when I  type  command  to  the  command line , this
> command will  always  be  send to top-gdb  , and  how to  send
> command  to  the  child gdb  dynamiclyï

If you want to debug a gdb with gdb you can debug as below
  gdb --args child-gdb  <elf>
   once you execute this command a gdb prompt of parent will appear
where you can set break point or do any other stuff. once you set a
breakpoint then enter run command

now this time again another gdb console will come there you can
commands for client gdb

ex:
 [console]$ gdb --args mb-gdb a.out
GNU gdb 6.1.1
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) b microblaze_extract_return_value
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804d451: file
/gnu/mb_gnu//src/gdb/gdb/microblaze-tdep.c, line 621.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /gnu/mb_gnu/gnu/microblaze/lin/bin/mb-gdb a.out
Detaching after fork from child process 546.
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.4.50.20120403-cvs
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=microblaze-xilinx-elf".
Reading symbols from /wrk/ptx/users/nagaraju/prgs/a.out...(no
debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) tar remote localhost:1234
Remote debugging using localhost:1234
> thanks!