-ggdb3 -gdwarf-4 but "info macro BLAH" still doesn't work?

Hello,

In a small test app built with -g3 I can print values of macros inside gdb by doing "info macro MYMACRONAME", however in a larger application I cannot get it to work despite passing the same -g3 and using the same gdb command. Just to be sure, I tried turning off stuff like pre-compiled headers etc in the large app but I still can't get the macro values to print correctly. In the large app, what I see is:

(gdb) info macro MYMACRONAME
The symbol `MYMACRONAME' has no definition as a C/C++ preprocessor macro
at ../../platforms/linux/src/main.cpp:263

In both cases gdb "info source" reports "Includes preprocessor macro info."
and also "Compiled with DWARF 2 debugging format."

For the large app readelf also reports the macro I'm testing as present (so I'm assuming the gcc end is doing the right thing):

$ readelf -wm binary | grep MYMACRONAME
 DW_MACINFO_define - lineno : 12 macro : MYMACRONAME 4096

FWIW; I'm using ubuntu 12.04 LTS which means I got gcc 4:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 and gdb 7.4-2012.02-0ubuntu2. I've also tried building with "-ggdb3 -gdwarf-4" but I still can't get values of macros and oddly gdb then still reports "Compiled with DWARF 2 debugging format", which was a bit weird?

Also if I do "info macros" then I get nothing printed at all.

---

What else can I try to make progress on this issue?

If there is no easier way, maybe someone can recommend a breakpoint location in GDB where I can step through the code that executes the "info macro BLAH" command ?

Martin