Re: Switch -Wunused-variable on?

On Sunday, April 22 2012, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:14:44 +0200, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>> However, before continuing to prepare this patch, I would like what you
>> think about enabling -Wunused-variable by default in the building.
>
> There are more useful -Wunused* options, GDB uses now:
> 	-Wno-unused -Wunused-value -Wunused-function

Sorry, do you mean that there are more useful -Wunused* flags than
-Wunused-variable?

> IIRC the counterargument for -Wunused-variable was that GDB contains various
> #if-compiled code where is a nightmare to get the code right with matching
> #if-clauses also for the variables being used by various #if-compiled code
> chunks.  I could not find that mail now in the time I gave to it.

Yes, this is a counter-argument, and I was also thinking about it.  I
don't know how people prefer to deal with this issue, but something
like:

    #define USED_VAR(var) ((void) var)

Would be OK?

> I believe more -Wunused* would be worth it, maybe the mail was before Joel
> started to disable -Werror for releases so that claim about problematic
> #if-clauses is no longer valid.

Yes, I believe the more useful warnings we have, the better.

Thanks,

--
Sergio