Re: GIT and CVS

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:43:20 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Could you explain how `git log' replaces ChangeLog? It doesn't do much
> more than what `cvs log' does, so you still need to write which
> function/variable was modified, and git log doesn't do that as far as
> I know (it only lists which files, and how many lines where
> added/delete which isn't very useful).

You have primarily `git annotate [revision]' which is like `cvs annotate' but
with the speed of GIT you can really use it.  You have also `git log -S [-p]'
where you can filter patches on specific text changes, it is also very fast.

Despite maintaining uncountable branches of GDB I never use ChangeLogs, I do
not understand what to look there for.

Regards,
Jan