Re: Why gdb-7.1 doesn't set hardware watchpoints on i7 CPU (amd64)?

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 21:06, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
>>
>> You begin by explaining what made you conclude that you can't set HW
>> watchpoints, preferably by showing a sample program and a complete log
>> of your GDB session. Verifying that the same problem exists in current
>> CVS snapshot is also a good idea.

You didn't show *complete* log of your GDB session.

This leaves us to guess which version of GDB you are using (your message
says 7.2), and what platform it was configured for.

Verifying that the problem exists in latest CVS snapshot is *still*
a good idea.

> This happens on all programs.
> I "conclude" by seeing that it prints "Watchpoint" not "Hardware watchpoint"
> and observing a very slow execution after it is set.
>
> (gdb) watch *(char*)0x3c74340
> Watchpoint 6: *(char*)0x3c74340
> (gdb) c
> <...very long wait...>

Is 0x3c74340 addressable at the point where you set the watch?

(This also likely would have been answered by a complete log of your
GDB session.)

Cheers,
--
Paul Pluzhnikov