Wrapping GDB

Hi,
I'm trying to use GDB to write some tests for a C++ program and am
having some trouble. The wrapper test is written in Groovy and it
seems that GDB does not send its output to stdout so that it can be
captured from a system call. Instead, it appears directly on the tty.
I realize that there is a machine interface but I don't want to use it
since the interaction has to be human readable for debugging when
tests fail. Since my test runs on the Java platform I am unable to
create a pseudo TTY for GDB. Expect seems to work but I don't want to
write my tests in Expect and no comparable implementation exists for
the Java platform. Do you have any suggestions? Is there an
undocumented switch that I can use so that GDB will send all of its
output to STDOUT/STDERR?

Thanks,
Uri