Re: On the toplevel configure and build system

On 03/30/2011 05:54 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
Thanks.  My inclination is to say that this should be considered an
independent tool in its own repository, as something not required in the
build of any of the other tools.  More specifically, utils/mep and
utils/wince look like independent tools each of which would better go in
its own toplevel directory (mep-integrator, cesetup) (and would each go in
an independent repository based on the shared toplevel, since they use
libiberty), while utils/spu appears to have no toplevel dependencies and
so should be completely independent, possibly without toplevel support for
building it.  Since utils/spu and utils/wince have no non-build-system
changes since 2000, I'd be inclined to say we should declare those two
subdirectories dead and run "cvs rm" on them - people wanting to resurrect
them can always extract the data from CVS later.  (And I still think
utils/mep should move to its own toplevel directory.)

No, these tools _are_ built after all.

However, moving them to a new toplevel directory and getting rid of utils would be a good thing.

Paolo