Restarting gdbserver

Hello, all.

I searched Google and mail list for hours - very strange, but found
nothing...:-(

I debug remotely gdb <-> gdbserver - totally standard situation...:-)
The target's root FS is NFS on my PC.

To start one debug session I go to the target (via telnet) and start the
gdbserver manually, then in my IDE start the gdb session. When a change is
required, I exit the gdb, this kills the gdbserver, make a change, recompile,
go to telnet, restart gdbserver, connect in IDE, etc.
Very annoying....

I tried to automate the gdbserver restart process by running script which
loops it, but this is not very reliable, as this means that I am allowed to
exit the gdb only AFTER I have recompiled the application. Otherwise,
gdbserver takes the old executable.

All this seems to be VERY standard situation which should be solved for years,
but how...:-(

Sorry to ask something so primitive.

Thanks a lot ahead.
--