Re: generic query regarding GPL and licensing terms associated with gdb

Martin Schröder wrote:
paawan oza wrote:
If I understood correctly,

-> if the idea is patented by the organization then it may not be
discussed.

I am not a lawyer, but I think that the contrary is true. As soon as the idea is patented, you're absolutely free to discuss it in whatever detail you desire. Of course, you should at least mention that the idea is patented.

I was talking from gcc's point of view of what was desirable, not giving a legal opinion on whether such discussion was legal :-)

-> if idea is not patented but implemented under GPL (which uses and
modifies original gdb source code), then it can be discussed.

Yup. If you can freely get the source code, you can freely talk about its details. After all, whatever the source makes the machine do, can also be emulated inside the human brain. ;)

This is wrong, see my previous discussion

-> that means organization has no way to claim the idea legally in
any terms

That's the point of patenting (claiming that you invented it), and the reason why patents should only be awarded for actual manufacturing processes instead of ideas or concepts. And some argue that software is nothing but concepts and ideas. ;)

This is wrong, you can protect things by trade secret, and the fact that the original base code was obtained under a GPL license does not change that (in fact it is the GPL license that allows this to be done).